Bishops Waltham Palace
The ruins of a medieval palace (together with later additions) used by the Bishops and senior clergy of Winchester as they travelled through their diocese. Winchester was the richest diocese in England, and its properties were grandiose and extravagantly appointed.
Much of what can be seen today is the work of William Wykeham, who was bishop from 1367. The ground floor of the farmhouse is occupied by the Bishop's Waltham Town Museum. Other palaces of the Bishops of Winchester include Farnham Castle Keep and Wolvesey Castle (Old Bishop's Palace).
Hampshire - SO32 1DH
30m from entrance; loose gravel surface. Disabled parking on site (please contact custodian for access).
Stagecoach in Hampshire 69 Winchester-Fareham (passes close to Winchester railway station and Fareham railway station); Solent Blue Line 8 from Eastleigh (passes Botley railway station)
In Bishop's Waltham
Botley 3 1⁄2 miles