Bants Carn Burial Chamber and Halangy Down Ancient Village
Halangy Down Ancient Village is remains of an ancient Iron Age village in a beautifully scenic location. On the hill above stands Bant's Carn Burial Chamber: a Bronze Age burial mound with entrance passage and inner chamber.
The tomb measures about 8 metres in diameter and stands on a low platform. It is separated from the burial chamber by a jamb. The chamber is approximately 5 metres long and 1.5 metres wide, with four large capstones providing a roof.
The excavation of the tomb in 1900 revealed the remains of four cremations at the back of the chamber, as well as fragments of Neolithic and Bronze Age pottery.
Further work in 1970 uncovered decorated prehistoric pottery fragments from around the portal stone as well as two worked flints which were given to the Isles of Scily Museum in December 1076.
Dogs on leads are welcome.
St Mary's, Isles of Scilly
1 mile N of Hugh Town