Abbotsbury Abbey Remains
Abbotsbury Abbey, dedicated to Saint Peter, was a Benedictine monastery in the village of Abbotsbury in Dorset, England.
The abbey was founded in the eleventh century by King Cnut's thegn Orc and his wife Tola, who handsomely endowed the monastery with lands in the area. The abbey prospered and became a local centre of power, controlling eight manor houses and villages.
During the later Middle Ages, the abbey suffered much misfortune. For some 400 years the thriving market town and its hinterland were dominated by the powerful black-robed monks until the Abbey was finally dissolved in 1539 under Henry VIII. Its fine buildings and extensive lands were sold to one Sir Giles Strangeways.
Today, the abbey's remains, and those of the nearby St Catherine's chapel, are in the guardianship of English Heritage.
Please note: Dogs on leads are welcome. Parking is available at a charge.
Abbotsbury Abbey Remains, Dorset, United Kingdom
Open all year round at any reasonable time.
Located in Abbotsbury, off the B3157, near the churchyard.
Parking is available for a small charge.
First X53 Poole - Exeter (passes close to Weymouth railway station) and 253
Located in Abbotsbury, off B3157, near the churchyard
Upwey 7 1⁄2 miles